Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bird Watching


Yesterday two of these pretty yellow birds were perched in the plum tree beside our motorhome for a little while. This one was kind enough to pose for a picture. I didn't know what kind of bird they were so asked some friends on Facebook and email for some help identifying it. The consensus was it is most likely either a Bullock's Oriole or a Western Tanager. According to Rick, who has the local knowledge, there are a lot of Western Tanagers in this area, so I started leaning in that direction. But then I heard from my friend Elizabeth, who has the most bird knowlege of anyone I know, and she assures me it's a female Bullock's Oriole. I hope it comes back again. It sure is lovely.

There are also quite a few hummingbirds hanging around our campground so we put up a feeder that attaches to our window. All the better to watch them up close. If I ever get a decent picture of one, I'll post that too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a LOVELY picture and a lovely birdie. Thanks.